Russia’s war on Ukraine. 03.08.2023
- Опубліковано: CDS
- Категорія: DailyBrief
The Ukrainian Defense Forces continue their offensive operations on the directions of Bakhmut, Melitopol, Tokmak, and Berdyansk. The enemy concentrates its main efforts on the Kupyansk, Lyman, Bakhmut, and Avdiivka directions.
- The Ukrainian Defense Forces continued their offensive on at least three sectors of the front line and developing progress in Zaporizhzhia Oblast.
- The enemy attempts to regain the operational initiative on the Kupyansk and Lyman directions.
- The enemy’s command on the Bakhmut axis has bolstered the density of their troops’ combat formations by deploying operational reserves (all three separate airborne assault brigades – the 11th, 31st, and 83rd – are deployed in the Bakhmut area), resulting in a partial deceleration of the Defense Forces’ advance. Concurrently, Russian forces have intensified artillery fire on the Bakhmut direction.
- The enemy’s military command has redeployed the 150th Motorized Rifle Division from Avdiivka to the Bakhmut direction, indicating a shift in the direction of concentrating their primary defensive measures.
- On the Tokmak and Berdyansk directions, the enemy is exerting efforts to hinder the “Tavriya” Operational Grouping from achieving the main line of defense and to narrow the areas where it has already accomplished such advancements.
Change in the line of contact (LoC):
- There have been over 44 combat engagements on various fronts.
- On the Kupyansk direction, Russian forces continued their successful offensive actions towards Kupyansk, advancing to the eastern bank of the Oskil River near Kalynove. The enemy’s “Zapad” operational grouping improved their tactical positions in the areas of Tymkivka, Novoselivske, and the wooded terrain towards Kuzemivka.
- The Ukrainian Defense Forces are consolidating their forces in the Kupyansk-Svatove region and have undertaken multiple unsuccessful attacks near Novoselivske and to the north of Kuzemivka.
- On the Lyman direction, Russian forces made progress south of Bilohorivka and continued to successfully attack Ukrainian positions near Torske and in the Serebryansk Forest. The enemy’s “Tsentr” operational grouping captured seven Ukrainian strongholds near Karmazynivka and Chervonopopivka.
- The Defense Forces launched unsuccessful attacks on the Raigorodka-Karmazynivka line, near Novovodyanе, Torske, and in the Serebryansk Forest area.
- The enemy is attempting to resume their offensive, launching attacks:
- with the 104th and 237th air assault regiments of the 76th air assault division and the 331st parachute airborne regiment of the 98th airborne division through the Serebryansk Forest in the southwestern direction along the Siversky Donets River;
- with the 74th separate motorized rifle brigade of the 41st Army of Center Military District, reinforced by units of the 144th mechanized rifle division and the 90th tank division, in the direction of Kreminna-Zarichne;
- with the 55th separate motorized rifle brigade of the 41st Army and the 234th air assault regiment of the 76th air assault division towards Chervonopopivka-Nevske;
- with a tactical group comprising units from the 127th separate motorized rifle brigade of the 2nd Army Corps of the 8th Army and the 78th Special Purpose Motorized Regiment “Akhmat-Sever” of the Russian National Guard (Rosgvardiya) in the Bilohorivka direction.
- However, as a result of these attacks, the enemy was compelled to retreat from Bilohorivka, unable to break through to Nevske, and failed to advance towards Zarichne, Dibrova, and the Serebryansk Forest.
- On the Bakhmut direction, the enemy made unsuccessful attempts to regain the lost positions west of Kurdyumivka, south of Andriivka, and west of Klishchiivka, and eventually withdrew from their positions to the south of Andriivka.
- The Ukrainian Defense Forces have advanced to the north of Kurdyumivka and are engaged in positional battles near Klishchiivka. Counterattacks near Mayorske did not yield success.
- In the northern sectors near Kurdyumivka and the vicinity of Klishchiivka, the Defense Forces persist in launching offensives and executing assault operations.
- On the Avdiivka direction, the Defense Forces effectively repelled Russian troop attacks in the Avdiivka area, successfully thwarting the enemy’s progress in the Maryinka and Pobieda sectors. Furthermore, they have established secure positions near Nevelske and are making efforts to advance in the vicinity of Novomykhailivka.
- Russian forces have repelled Ukrainian attacks near Krasnohorivka, Maryinka, and Staromykhailivka. The enemy’s 1004th motorized rifle regiment of the Territorial Troops, with support from the 1st separate motorized rifle brigade, advanced 800 meters north of Vodyane. The 1140th motorized rifle regiment of the Territorial Troops, reinforced by the 277th rifle battalion of the mobilization reserve of the 1st Army Corps, managed to recapture Vesele. However, they were unable to continue their advance towards Krasnohorivka-Stepove due to significant losses suffered during the battle for Vesele.
- The Ukrainian Defense Forces effectively halted the enemy’s advancement along the Kamianka – Kruta Balka defense line. The enemy’s 1454th motorized rifle regiment of the Territorial Troops and the 6th separate motorized rifle battalion of the 9th separate motorized rifle brigade were forced to stop their progress on the outskirts of Kamianka.
- Zaporizhzhia direction:
- Melitopol direction (Pyatykhatky): Russian forces repelled minor Ukrainian attacks near Pyatykhatky. The “Tavriya” Operational Grouping launched an attack on the Mala Tokmachka – Bilohirya axis.
- Tokmak direction (Robotyne): Russian forces repelled minor Ukrainian attacks near Robotyne.
- Berdyansk direction (Velyka Novosilka): The enemy made unsuccessful attempts to regain the lost positions west of Staromayorske and north of Urozhaine.
- The “Tavriya” Operational Grouping forces are maintaining control of the northern part of Staromayorske, while Russian forces control the heights and fields to the south of Staromayorske and have full control over Urozhaine.
- In the Black Sea-Azov Sea operational maritime area, there were 11 enemy ships on combat duty in the Black Sea, with 2 of them being cruise missile carriers. In the Azov Sea, there were 3 enemy ships, and in the Mediterranean Sea, there were 8 ships, with 2 of them being cruise missile carriers. The total salvo of Kalibr cruise missiles is 36 rockets.
Change in enemy disposition:
- The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation has started staffing the 25th Army Corps of the Central Military District.
Possible operation situation developments:
- In order to contain the breakthrough of the “Tavriya” Operational Grouping’s vanguard to their primary defensive line, the enemy’s command may opt to assemble a tactical group consisting of units from the 100th Separate Ranger Brigade, the 14th “BARS” Detachment, and the 249th Separate Motorized Special Purpose Battalion “Akhmat-Yug” (part of the Federal Service of the Russian National Guard). They could then attempt a counterattack within the defense zone of the Russian 70th Motorized Rifle Regiment (the 42nd Motorized Rifle Division) towards Novodanylivka along the H-08 road.
- North of Klishchiivka, the enemy is preparing a counterattack with the forces of the 102nd motorized rifle regiment (150th motorized rifle division). Between Klishchiivka and Andriivka, the enemy is preparing a sequence of counterattacks with the forces of the 72nd separate motorized rifle brigade, supported by the 68th tank regiment (150th motorized rifle division). The enemy’s command plans to deploy the 105th rifle regiment of the mobilization reserve in the area of Khromove.
Russian operational losses from 24.02.22 to 03.08.23
Personnel – almost 247,850 people (+620);
Tanks – 4,224 (+7);
Armored combat vehicles – 8,234 (+21);
Artillery systems – 4,892 (+26);
Multiple rocket launchers (MLRS) – 704 (+4);
Anti-aircraft warfare systems – 465 (+2);
Vehicles and fuel tanks – 7,372 (+23);
Aircraft – 315 (0);
Helicopters – 311 (0);
UAV operational and tactical level – 4,077 (+35);
Intercepted cruise missiles – 1,347 (0);
Boats/ships – 18 (0).
- Over the past day, the Russian forces attacked 9 regions of Ukraine; 144 towns and villages and 109 infrastructure objects were attacked, Ukrainian Defense Ministry reported. Reports from Oblast Military Administrations indicate that the shelling resulted in at least two fatalities and 14 injuries.
- According to the Head of Kyiv Oblast Military Administration, Serhiy Popko, the UAV attack on Kyiv during the night of August 2nd-3rd marked the 8th consecutive attack. Ukrainian Air defense forces successfully shot down almost 15 UAVs during the night. Popko also revealed that the night air alert in Kyiv lasted precisely 3 hours and was the 820th alert for the capital since the beginning of the full-scale invasion.
- On the morning of August 3, Kherson Oblast Military Administration reported the enemy shelling of a church in downtown Kherson and public transport; three people were injured. During a subsequent shelling by Russian forces, four rescue workers who were extinguishing the fire caused by the initial attack on the church also sustained injuries.
- Currently, the Office of the Ukrainian Prosecutor General has identified 674 suspects in the primary criminal proceedings related to the Russian Federation’s invasion of Ukraine. These suspects include individuals from both the military and political leadership of the Russian Federation.
- According to Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal, there are currently over 770,000 Ukrainian children officially registered in the European education system. Moreover, the total number of children affected by the full-scale Russian aggression and residing abroad is estimated to be over 1 million.
- In preparation for the heating season, “DTEK Energo” has successfully repaired 9 power units of thermal power plants (TPP), with 7 more units currently undergoing repairs. The company aims to complete the repair of a total of 27 TPP power units by the end of 2023.
Centre for Defence Strategies (CDS) is a Ukrainian security think tank. We operate since 2020. We publish this brief daily. If you would like to subscribe, please send us an email at email@example.com
The CDC Daily Brief is produced with the support of the Kyiv School of Economics https://kse.ua/
Please note, that we subscribe only verified persons and can decline or cancel the subscription at our own discretion
We are an independent, non-government, non-partisan, and non-profit organization. More at www.defence.org.ua
Our brief is for information only and we verify our information to the best possible extent