Russia’s war on Ukraine. 06.08.2023
- Опубліковано: CDS
- Категорія: DailyBrief
The Ukrainian Defense Forces continue their offensive operation on the Melitopol and Berdyansk directions, consolidating their positions on achieved frontlines and engaging in counter-battery combat. The enemy concentrates its main efforts on the Kupyansk, Lyman, Bakhmut, and Avdiivka directions.
- The Defense Forces continued offensive operations on at least three sectors of the front line, achieving progress in Zaporizhzhia Oblast.
- The Defense Forces are continuing to establish conditions for future decisive operations by implementing a blockade strategy, reminiscent of their tactics employed during counteroffensive actions in the Kharkiv and Kherson regions in 2022, now inflicting much deeper strikes into the Russian rear, including maritime targets.
- The Defense Forces’ operation around Bakhmut compelled the enemy’s command to deploy additional forces in the Bakhmut area and retain their presence, thereby accomplishing one of the main objectives set by the Defense Forces.
Change in the line of contact (LoC):
- Over 30 combat engagements took place on various fronts.
- On the Kupyansk direction, the Defense Forces successfully repelled enemy attacks in the areas of Vilshana and Synkivka, advanced to the east of Verkhnyokamianske, and launched counterattacks near Nadia, Novoyehorivka, and Karmazynivka.
- On the Lyman direction, the enemy conducted unsuccessful offensive actions in the vicinity of Bilohorivka. Russian forces advanced further on the western bank of the Zherebets River, west of Karmazynivka, and reached the outskirts of Novoselivske.
- On the Bakhmut direction, the Defense Forces are holding back the enemy in the Kurdyumivka area. The enemy attempted to advance towards Ivanivske.
- On the Avdiivka direction, the Defense Forces successfully repelled Russian attacks in the areas of Avdiivka, Staromykhailivka, and Krasnohorivka. They continue to hold back the Russian advance in the Maryinka area. Russian forces achieved minor gains to the south of Krasnohorivka.
- Zaporizhzhia direction:
- Tokmak direction (Robotyne): The enemy, carrying out aerial strikes, conducted unsuccessful offensive actions in the Robotyne area with the forces of the 177th separate marines regiment of the Caspian Fleet.
- The “Tavriya” Operational Grouping is advancing near Orikhove, and Ukrainian assault groups continue to attack Russian positions along the Kopani-Robotyne-Verbove line. Between Robotyne and Verbove, the “Tavriya” forces reached the main defensive line of the enemy and penetrated their first trench, clearing about 400 meters.
- Berdyansk direction (Velyka Novosilka): The enemy attempted unsuccessfully to regain the lost position in the Staromayorske area. Russian forces repelled Ukrainian attacks towards Urozhaine, to the northeast of Staromayorske, and to the south of Zolota Nyva. The enemy’s attempts to retake the lost positions near Staromayorske and in the direction of Blahodatne were unsuccessful.
- The Defense Forces launched an attack in the vicinity of Vuhledar, advanced into the gray zone, and reached the enemy’s defense line.
- In the Black Sea-Azov Sea operational maritime area, the following enemy ships were on combat duty: in the Black Sea – 9 ships, including 1 cruise missile carrier, in the Azov Sea – 1 ship, and in the Mediterranean Sea – 8 ships, including 2 cruise missile carriers. The total salvo of Kalibr cruise missiles is 32 rockets.
Possible operation situation developments:
- In order to contain the breakthrough of the “Tavriya” Operational Grouping’s vanguard to their primary defensive line, the enemy’s command may opt to assemble a tactical group consisting of units from the 100th Separate Ranger Brigade, the 14th “BARS” Detachment, and the 249th Separate Motorized Special Purpose Battalion “Akhmat-Yug” (part of the Federal Service of the Russian National Guard). They could then attempt a counterattack within the defense zone of the Russian 70th Motorized Rifle Regiment (the 42nd Motorized Rifle Division) towards Novodanylivka along the H-08 road.
- North of Klishchiivka, the enemy is preparing a counterattack with the forces of the 102nd motorized rifle regiment (150th motorized rifle division). Between Klishchiivka and Andriivka, the enemy is preparing a sequence of counterattacks with the forces of the 72nd separate motorized rifle brigade, supported by the 68th tank regiment (150th motorized rifle division). The enemy’s command plans to deploy the 105th rifle regiment of the mobilization reserve in the area of Khromove.
Russian operational losses from 24.02.22 to 06.08.23
Personnel – almost 249,700 people (+590);
Tanks – 4,237 (+5);
Armored combat vehicles – 8,262 (+11);
Artillery systems – 4,965 (+22);
Multiple rocket launchers (MLRS) – 705 (+1);
Anti-aircraft warfare systems – 466 (0);
Vehicles and fuel tanks – 7,441 (+19);
Aircraft – 315 (0);
Helicopters – 311 (0);
UAV operational and tactical level – 4,126 (+10);
Intercepted cruise missiles – 1,359 (+12);
Boats/ships – 18 (0).
- According to information provided by the MOD’s Situation Center, over the past day, Russian forces shelled 11 regions of Ukraine. 129 towns and villages and 81 infrastructure objects were attacked with various types of weapons. Overall, 2 people were reported killed, and 4 people were wounded.
- Khmelnytskyi Oblast has been attacked 3 times since the evening of August 5. Russian forces targeted Starokonstiantyniv airfield. Most of the missiles were shot down by air defense forces. The blast wave, however, damaged several private residential buildings in the Starokonstiantyniv community; windows were broken in a communal cultural institution, in the bus station and in a commercial property.
- On the night of August 5, Russian forces attacked the blood transfusion center in the Kupyansk community in Kharkiv Oblast with a guided aerial bomb; there were dead and wounded, President Volodymyr Zelensky said.
- In Sumy Oblast, the operation of the humanitarian corridor Kolotilovka (Russian Federation) – Pokrovka (Ukraine) was resumed on August 5. Ukrainians evacuating from the temporarily occupied territories can return to the controlled territory of Ukraine through the checkpoint, the Ministry of Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine reports.
- As stated by Artem Lysohor, the head of the Luhansk Oblast Military Administration, the Russian occupying forces are imposing constraints on civilian movement within the occupied territory. Despite the absence of a specific entry pass or local registration requirement for entering occupied Luhansk, members of the occupying army meticulously scrutinize identification documents, vehicles, and reasons for travel of individuals lacking Russian passports. Those without compelling reasons to visit the city encounter challenges when attempting to reach Luhansk.
Centre for Defence Strategies (CDS) is a Ukrainian security think tank. We operate since 2020. We publish this brief daily. If you would like to subscribe, please send us an email at email@example.com
The CDC Daily Brief is produced with the support of the Kyiv School of Economics https://kse.ua/
Please note, that we subscribe only verified persons and can decline or cancel the subscription at our own discretion
We are an independent, non-government, non-partisan, and non-profit organization. More at www.defence.org.ua
Our brief is for information only and we verify our information to the best possible extent