Russia’s war on Ukraine. 24.08.2023
- Опубліковано: CDS
- Категорія: DailyBrief
Ukrainian Defense Forces continue their offensive operation on the Melitopol direction, consolidating their positions on the achieved frontlines and engaging in counter-battery warfare.
The adversary concentrates its primary efforts on the Kupyansk, Bakhmut, Tokmak, and Berdyansk sectors.
- Ukrainian Defense Forces continued offensive operations in at least three sections of the front, advancing in the west of Zaporizhzhia Oblast.
- The intensity of hostilities in the Avdiivka direction has decreased significantly.
- On the Berdyansk direction, the Russian military has no uncommitted troops left. The Russian command is forced to maneuver the troops, withdrawing individual battalions from the brigades defending on non-attacked sections of the front.
- The “Tavriya” Operational Grouping has created conditions for capturing the enemy’s defense area near Staromlynivka and is preparing to initiate its capture.
- The Russian operational deployment on the Berdyansk direction indicates an effort to foresee most options for the development of the situation and provide for an adequate response in advance.
Change in the line of contact (LoC):
- Over 23 combat engagements took place in different directions.
- On the Kupyansk direction, the Russian 15th separate motorized rifle brigade conducted unsuccessful offensive actions near Novoyehorivka. The 25th separate motorized rifle brigade tried to continue the offensive in the Vilshany area, captured a stronghold and two observation posts of Ukrainian Defense Forces. The 127th separate motorized rifle brigade of the 2nd Army Corps, with the support of “volunteer” formations, stormed the positions of Ukrainian Defense Forces near Bilohorivka.
- On the Bakhmut direction, the Russian 51st air assault regiment of the 106th air assault division repulsed the attacks of Ukrainian Defense Forces near Kurdyumivka.
- Ukrainian Defense Forces attacked the positions of the 72nd separate motorized rifle brigade of the 3rd Army Corps near Andriivka; fighting continued in the southern part of Klishchiivka. Russian forces launched an unsuccessful counterattack.
- Units of the 123rd separate motorized rifle brigade of the 2nd Army Corps conducted unsuccessful offensive actions near Vesele.
- On the Avdiivka direction, the 110th separate motorized rifle brigade of the 1st Army Corps repelled the attack of Ukrainian Defense Forces near Nevelske. Units of the enemy’s 68th Army Corps of the Pacific Fleet unsuccessfully attacked near Novomykhailivka, in Maryinka and on the southern approaches to Avdiivka.
- Zaporizhzhia direction:
- Tokmak direction (Robotyne): The “Tavriya” Operational Grouping advanced to the southeast of Robotyne and to the northwest of Verbove, improved its tactical position in the directions of Novodanylivka and Novoprokopivka.
- The Russian military command hastily transfers additional forces and means to the Robotyne-Verbove area.
- The 201st motorized rifle regiment is attempting to hold the heights northeast of Novoprokopivka, but the “Tavriya” Operational Grouping, maneuvering around it from the east, is displacing it from there toward the settlement.
- Berdyansk direction (Velyka Novosilka): Units of the “Tavriya” Grouping attacked near Pryiutne and Urozhaine. They are looking for weak spots in the Russian defense lines near Novodonetsk.
- The Russian command is trying to organize the defense of Zavitne Bazhannia by means of counterattacks east of the village in the defense section of the 37th separate motorized rifle brigade.
- Kherson direction: Defense Forces units continue their attempts to establish a foothold near Oleshky, where they are facing off against the illegal military formation ” Medvedi (Bears)” (the 81st Special Purpose Brigade), recently formed from Crimean collaborators.
- In the Black Sea-Azov naval operational area, there were 10 Russian ships in the Black Sea including 2 cruise missile carriers, 2 in the Sea of Azov including 1 cruise missile carrier, 8 in the Mediterranean, including 2 cruise missile carriers. The total salvo is 44 Kalibr cruise missiles.
Change in enemy disposition:
- The 85th separate motorized rifle brigade of the 2nd Army Corps formed at the beginning of the year in Luhansk Oblast operates in the Bakhmut area.
- In the area to the west of Novoprokopivka, a battalion of the 503rd motorized rifle regiment, which has arrived from Nesteryanka, is taking up the defense. The 56th air assault regiment of the 7th air assault division moved to the defense along the northern and northwestern outskirts of Novoprokopivka. A battalion from the 100th separate reconnaissance brigade is taking up defense positions behind the Robotyne – Verbove section.
- In and around Staromlynivka, the 136th separate motorized rifle brigade, part of the forces of the 34th separate motorized rifle brigade, 218th tank regiment, part of the forces of the 114th motorized rifle regiment, a detachment of the “Sokol” PMC took up positions in Staromlynivka. In front of Staromlynivka, units of the 60th and 37th separate motorized rifle brigade lead the defense, on both flanks – no less than two battalions of the 336th separate marine brigades of the Baltic Fleet. The 5th separate tank brigade is concentrated south of Kermenchyk.
Possible operation situation developments:
- The Russian command will not stop trying to force the command of Ukrainian Defense Forces to commit a part of its strategic reserves in this direction by active actions in the Kupyansk direction;
- In the conditions of the fire superiority, the “Tavriya” Operational Grouping could swiftly crush the enemy in the Staromlynivka. This could be achieved if it ties up the 60th separate motorized rifle brigade defending in Zavitne Bazhanya by combat, covering the left flank from enemy attacks along the Novodonetske-Kermenchyk line and ensuring its own advance along the Urozhaine-Staromlynivka road with engineering support;
- The success of the Russian defense in the Berdyansk direction will depend on the outcome of the battles in the area of Urozhaine – Novodonetske – Kermenchyk – Zavitne Bazhanya;
- The command of the “Tavriya” Operational Grouping will strive to become more active on the flanks of the Staromlynivka defensive area. This aims to prevent the enemy from using its all available reserves concentrated in one location. To achieve this, they will launch attacks from the positions of Pryiutne-Novozlatopil and Novodonetske-Novomayorske.
- In the event of a breakthrough by the “Tavriya” Operational Grouping into the Staromlynivka defense area, one should expect the actions of the 336t separate tank brigade in the direction of Remivka – Volodyne and the 5th separate tank brigade in the direction of Novodonetske – Kermenchyk
Russian operational losses from 24.02.22 to 24.08.23
Personnel – almost 259,160people (+340);
Tanks – 4,375 (+2);
Armored combat vehicles – 8,511 (+23);
Artillery systems – 5,333 (+15);
Multiple rocket launchers (MLRS) – 723 (+1);
Anti-aircraft warfare systems – 494 (+3);
Vehicles and fuel tanks –7,773 (+45);
Aircraft – 315 (0);
Helicopters – 316 (0);
UAV operational and tactical level – 4,344 (+20);
Intercepted cruise missiles – 1,406 (0);
Boats/ships – 18 (0).
- According to information provided by the MOD’s Situation Center, over the past day, Russian forces shelled 9 regions of Ukraine. 138 towns and villages and 71 infrastructure objects were attacked with various types of weapons. 5 people are reported dead and 18 people are reported injured over the past day by relevant Oblast Military State Administrations.
- Russian attack on Thursday caused serious damage to one of DTEK Energo’s thermal power plants forcing it to stop producing electricity, the company’s press service reported. The company noted that this TPP has been repeatedly attacked before. DTEK Energo power plants have been attacked 34 times since last September. As a result of the shelling, 3 workers died and 28 were injured.
- On the night of August 24, Russian forces hit Dnipro with missiles, seven people were injured, houses and other buildings, buses, cars, water and gas pipelines were damaged, Serhiy Lysak, head of the military administration of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast said.
- At 4:00 a.m. on August 24, 2023, in Bakrhchisaray and Bakrhchisaray district, Russian FSB raided the homes of Crimean Tatars who had previously been detained, arrested or fined for participating in protests, as well as relatives of political prisoners, the Head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people Refat Chubarov said. Crimean Solidarity reported that activists Seidamet Mustafayev and Abdulmejit Seitumerov were taken to the FSB Office in Simferopol.
Centre for Defence Strategies (CDS) is a Ukrainian security think tank. We operate since 2020.
We publish this brief daily. If you would like to subscribe, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The CDC Daily Brief is produced with the support of the Kyiv School of Economics https://kse.ua/
Please note, that we subscribe only verified persons and can decline or cancel the subscription at our own discretion
We are an independent, non-government, non-partisan, and non-profit organization. More at www.defence.org.ua
Our Twitter (in English) – https://twitter.com/defence_centre
Our Facebook (in Ukrainian) – https://www.facebook.com/cds.UA
Our brief is for information only and we verify our information to the best possible extent