Russia’s war on Ukraine. 26.10.2023
- Опубліковано: CDS
- Категорія: DailyBrief
In the operational zone of the Ukrainian Operational-Strategic Group of Forces (OSG) “Khortytsia” on the Kupyansk direction, Ukrainian troops repelled 13 enemy attacks in the areas of Synkivka, Petropavlivka, and Ivanivka. On the Lyman direction, Ukrainian troops steadfastly hold their defense, successfully repelling all enemy attacks near Nadiya and Makiivka. On the Bakhmut direction, Ukrainian forces repelled 10 enemy attacks in the areas of Bohdanivka, Ivanivske, Klishchiivka, and Andriivka. The Ukrainian Defense Forces continue their assault operations south of Bakhmut, inflicting losses on the enemy in personnel and equipment, and consolidating their achieved positions.
In the “Tavriya” OSG operational zone on the Avdiivka direction, the adversary persists in attempts to encircle Avdiivka, actively employing aviation. However, Ukrainian troops are holding the defense steadfastly and inflicting significant losses on the enemy. Enemy offensive actions were futile in the areas of Stepove, Avdiivka, Tonenke, and Severne, where the Defense Forces repelled 15 enemy attacks. On the Maryinka direction, the adversary conducted unsuccessful assault operations in the areas of Maryinka and Novomykhailivka. Ukrainian troops repelled 20 enemy attacks in this area. On the Shakhtarsk and Zaporizhzhia directions, Ukrainian defenders repelled all enemy attacks in the areas of Vodyane, Novoukrayinka, Staromayorske, and Verbove. The Defense Forces continue their offensive operation on the Melitopol direction, inflicting losses on the occupying forces in personnel and equipment, and wearing down the enemy along the entire front line.
In the operational zone of the “Odesa” OSG, the Ukrainian Defense Forces are conducting counter-battery warfare, destroying enemy supply depots and inflicting damage on their rear areas.
Russian forces continued their offensive actions on the Kupyansk – Svatove – Kreminna line, near Bakhmut, on the Avdiivka-Donetsk line, along the administrative border of Donetsk and Zaporizhzhia Oblasts, in the western part of Zaporizhzhia Oblast. They made progress in some sectors.
- The frequency of Russian assaults near Avdiivka has decreased.
Change in the line of contact (LoC):
- There were 78 combat engagements on various fronts.
- On the Kupyansk direction, Russian forces unsuccessfully attacked near Synkivka, Petropavlivka, Ivanivka, Makiyivka, and Nadiya. They also launched assaults on Ukrainian positions near Kyslivka and repelled Ukrainian attacks near Synkivka, Tymkivka, Ivanivka, Zahoruykivka, Nadiya, Dibrova, Hryhorivka, and Yampolivka.
- On the Bakhmut direction, “Khortytsia” OSG forces are conducting offensive operations near Klishchiivka and Andriivka. They repelled Russian attacks near Bohdanivka, Ivanivske, Klishchiivka, and Andriivka. Battles also took place near Khromove.
- Russian forces repelled Ukrainian attacks near Maloilyinivka, Andriivka, Kurdyumivka, and Pivnichne. They launched counterattacks near Berkhivka.
- On the Avdiivka direction, the enemy broke through to the railway and took control of the Height 230 “Terikon”. Their forward units reached a position 5 kilometers away from Orlivka. Combat engagements are now underway at the Avdiivka Coke-Chemical Plant.
- Russian forces have advanced northwest of Krasnohorivka, but their attacks near Stepove, Avdiivka, Tonenke, Severne, Nevelske, Maryinka, Pobieda, Novomykhailivka, and Vodyane were unsuccessful.
- The “Tavriya” OSG forces launched a counterattack and pushed Russian forces back from Berdychi.
- Berdyansk Direction: Russian forces conducted unsuccessful offensive operations near Novoukrayinka, Prechystivka, Staromayorske, Zolota Nyva, Novodonetske, and Novomayorske. Units of the 394th Motorized Rifle Regiment from the 127th Motorized Rifle Division of the 5th Army, Eastern Military District, captured a stronghold of the Ukrainian Defense Forces in the Pryiutne area.
- Tokmak Direction: Russian forces repelled attacks by units of the “Tavriya” OSG near Robotyne, Novoprokopivka, and Verbove.
- The “Tavriya” OSG forces continued their offensive operations on the Melitopol direction and achieved partial success to the west of Verbove. They repelled Russian attacks near this village and to the southeast of Mala Tokmachka. Russian forces withdrew from the northwest outskirts of Novoprokopivka, and attempted to counterattack from there, but did not achieve any results.
- Kherson Direction: “Odesa” OSG forces hold positions in Krynky and near the Antonivskyi railway and automobile bridges. They have advanced closer to Pidstepne from the Antonivskyi railway bridge. Units of the 810th Separate Marine Brigade of the enemy’s Black Sea Fleet attempted to displace Ukrainian forces from Krynky.
- Russian forces repelled Ukrainian assault groups that attempted to advance towards Pishchanivka, Poyma, and Pidstepne.
- In the Black Sea-Azov Sea operational area, there was 1 enemy ship on combat duty; in the Azov Sea – 1 enemy ship; in the Mediterranean Sea – 3 enemy ships, including 1 cruise missile carrier with a total salvo of 8 cruise missiles.
Changes in enemy disposition:
- The 58th Separate Special Purpose Battalion of the 1st Army Corps (formerly the 3rd Separate Special Purpose Battalion of the so-called People’s Militia of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic) is operating on the Bakhmut direction.
Possible operation situation developments:
- The enemy’s 35th Army has received orders to hold the Novokarlivka-Myrne-Dorozhnyanka-Marfopil line on the Polohy direction at all costs. The commander of the 35th Army will concentrate the main efforts on the Polohy – Novokarlivka axis (38th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade) and Polohy – Dorozhnyanka axis (64th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade). The 69th Separate Cover Brigade will make every effort to retain control over Myrne and Zahirne for as long as possible. In case of failure, it will withdraw to the prepared defense line to the south, allocating a battalion for operations in adjacent sectors. The evolving situation in the Novopokrovka, Luhivske, and Dorozhnyanka areas renders this course of action by the enemy highly probable.
- The 34th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 49th Army is expected to be redeployed from the area between Pryiutne and Zavitne Bazhannia to the Kherson direction.
- The enemy’s command of the “Dnipro” Operational Group is gradually increasing its efforts in the occupied territory of Kherson Oblast. The relocation of troops from the Tokmak direction indicates high attention to this direction.
Russian operational losses from 24.02.22 to 26.10.23
Personnel – almost 297,120 people (+810);
Tanks – 5,141 (+29);
Armored combat vehicles – 9,715 (+18);
Artillery systems – 7,155 (+30);
Multiple rocket launchers (MLRS) – 834 (+1);
Anti-aircraft warfare systems – 556 (+2);
Vehicles and fuel tanks –9,507 (+33);
Aircraft – 320 (0);
Helicopters – 324 (0);
UAV operational and tactical level – 5,389 (+17);
Intercepted cruise missiles – 1,538 (0);
Boats/ships – 21 (0).
- According to information provided by the MOD’s Situation Center, over the past day, Russian forces shelled 9 regions of Ukraine. 128 towns and villages and 64 infrastructure objects were attacked with various types of weapons. There are killed and wounded Ukrainian civilians. The number of casualties is being updated/clarified.
Centre for Defence Strategies (CDS) is a Ukrainian security think tank. We operate since 2020.
We publish this brief daily. If you would like to subscribe, please send us an email at email@example.com
The CDC Daily Brief is produced with the support of the Kyiv School of Economics https://kse.ua/
Please note, that we subscribe only verified persons and can decline or cancel the subscription at our own discretion
We are an independent, non-government, non-partisan, and non-profit organization. More at www.defence.org.ua
Our Twitter (in English) – https://twitter.com/defence_centre
Our Facebook (in Ukrainian) – https://www.facebook.com/cds.UA
Our brief is for information only and we verify our information to the best possible extent