Russia’s war on Ukraine. 01.11.2023
- Опубліковано: CDS
- Категорія: DailyBrief
In the operational zone of the Ukrainian Operational-Strategic Group of Forces (OSG) “Khortytsia” on the Kupyansk direction, the enemy conducted unsuccessful assault operations in the areas of Synkivka, Ivanivka and Nadiya, where Ukrainian defenders repelled over 10 enemy attacks. On the Lyman direction, the enemy did not engage in offensive (assault) actions. On the Bakhmut direction, the enemy unsuccessfully attempted to regain the lost positions near Klishchiivka and Andriivka, where Ukrainian troops repelled 5 enemy attacks. Additionally, the enemy conducted unsuccessful assault operations in the area of Pivdenne. The Ukrainian Defense Forces continue assault operations south of Bakhmut, inflicting losses on the enemy in personnel and equipment, and consolidating their achieved positions.
In the “Tavriya” OSG operational zone on the Avdiivka direction, the enemy persists in attempts to encircle Avdiivka. They employ aviation to support their forces. Ukrainian troops steadfastly maintain the defense, inflicting losses on the enemy. The enemy’s offensive actions in the areas of Avdiivka, Keramik, Severne, Pervomaiske, and Stepove were unsuccessful. Ukrainian defenders repelled approximately 20 enemy attacks. On the Maryinka direction, the enemy conducted unsuccessful assault operations in the areas of Maryinka and Novomykhailivka. Ukrainian defenders repelled over 20 enemy attacks in this area. On the Shakhtarsk direction, the enemy conducted unsuccessful assault operations near Prechystivka and Zolota Nyva. On the Zaporizhzhia direction, the enemy attempted to regain the lost position in the Robotyne area but did not succeed. The Ukrainian Defense Forces continue the offensive operation on the Melitopol direction, inflicting losses on the occupying forces in personnel and equipment, and wearing down the enemy along the entire front line.
In the operational zone of the “Odesa” OSG, the Ukrainian Defense Forces are conducting counter-battery warfare, destroying enemy supply depots and inflicting damage on their rear areas.
Russian forces continued their offensive actions on the Kupyansk – Svatove line, near Bakhmut, near Avdiivka, west and southwest of Donetsk, in the western parts of Zaporizhzhia Oblast. They made progress in the Avdiivka area.
- Russian forces will soon receive BMPs (infantry fighting vehicles) from “Kurganmashzavod” equipped with electronic warfare (EW) systems that provide special protection against FPV drones.
Change in the line of contact (LoC):
- There have been 68 combat engagements on various fronts.
- On the Kupyansk direction, Russian forces unsuccessfully attacked near Synkivka, Kyslivka, Ivanivka, and Makiyivka. However, they did not conduct any offensive actions on the Lyman direction.
- The “Khortytsia” OSG troops launched attacks near Synkivka, Yampolivka, and Dibrova.
- On the Bakhmut direction, the “Khortytsia” OSG troops continued offensive operations south of Bakhmut. They have solidified previously seized enemy strongholds east of the railway line near Andriivka into defensive position. They made slight progress south of Andriivka.
- Russian forces unsuccessfully attacked near Klishchiivka, Andriivka, and Pivdenne and counterattacked near Berkhivka.
- On the Avdiivka direction, the “Tavriya” OSG forces launched a counterattack near Avdiivka.
- Russian forces made slight progress towards the outskirts of the industrial zone of Avdiivka, to the southwest of Avdiivka and southwest of Krasnohorivka. They are advancing near the Avdiivka Coke and Chemical Plant, as well as to the south of Novomykhailivka, Tonenke, and Severne. The enemy did not achieve success near Keramik, Stepove, Pervomaiske, and Maryinka. Positional battles were taking place on the western outskirts of Maryinka.
- Berdyansk direction: The “Tavriya” OSG forces repelled Russian assaults near Prechystivka, Zolota Nyva, and Staromayorske. Battles continued near Pryiutne and Novodonetske.
- Tokmak direction: Russian forces repelled Ukrainian assaults near Robotyne, Verbove, Novoprokopivka, Kopani, and Nesteryanka. They unsuccessfully attempted to regain lost positions near Robotyne and retake previously lost positions near Verbove.
- Kherson direction: The “Odesa” OSG forces maintain their positions and continue ground operations on the eastern bank of Kherson Oblast. They continue to hold positions in Krynky and near the Antonivsk Highway and railway bridges. Battles persist near Krynky and Antonivsk railway bridge. Ukrainian forces attempted to breach Russian defense near Pishchanivka and Poyma.
- In the Black Sea-Azov Sea operational maritime region, there was 1 enemy ship on combat duty; in the Azov Sea – 1 enemy ship; in the Mediterranean Sea – 2 enemy ships. There were no cruise missiles aboard the missile carriers.
Change in enemy disposition: not detected.
Possible operation situation developments:
- Following the completion of their regrouping, it is anticipated that the adversary will imminently reinitiate massed attacks and assault operations on the Avdiivka front.
- The 114th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade of the adversary’s 1st Army Corps, in conjunction with the 15th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade and the 277th Rifle Battalion of the mobilization reserve, will make an endeavor to breach towards the Avdiivka Coke and Chemical Plant, as well as in the direction of Stepove and Berdychi.
- Anticipate the deployment of units of the 21st Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 2nd Combined Arms Army in the Kamianka-Pisochny quarry sector. This is aimed to circumvent the pond-laden terrain, securing the southern flank in support of the 114th and 15th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigades in their assault on the [Avdiivka] coke and chemical plant.
- The 34th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 49th Combined Arms Army is expected to be redeployed from the area between Pryiutne and Zavitne Bazhannia to the Kherson direction.
Russian operational losses from 24.02.22 to 01.11.23
Personnel – almost 301,490 people (+680);
Tanks – 5,223 (+12);
Armored combat vehicles – 9,834 (+30);
Artillery systems – 7,250 (+23);
Multiple rocket launchers (MLRS) – 846 (+2);
Anti-aircraft warfare systems – 563 (+1);
Vehicles and fuel tanks –9,624 (+34);
Aircraft – 321 (0);
Helicopters – 324 (0);
UAV operational and tactical level – 5,468 (+28);
Intercepted cruise missiles – 1,547 (+1);
Boats/ships – 21 (0).
- According to information provided by the MOD’s Situation Center, over the past day, Russian forces shelled 10 regions of Ukraine. 169 towns and villages and 101 infrastructure objects were attacked with various types of weapons. There are killed and wounded Ukrainian civilians. The number of casualties is being updated/clarified.
- In Kremenchuk, Poltava Oblast, the Russians targeted an oil refinery. Firefighters have already extinguished the fire. No casualties were reported, but the enterprise is not operational. The air raid alert in Poltava Oblast lasted for over 4 hours.
- As a result of the morning strike on the center of Kherson, an employee of the Kherson city administration was killed, and two of her colleagues were injured.
- Today, throughout the day, the enemy launched several attacks on the Nikopol region and the Kryvyi Rih district of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast. There is destruction. One person has been killed, and seven are injured.
- Since the decision on mandatory evacuation was made in Kherson Oblast, 287 children with their families have been evacuated from 13 settlements. However, there are still 497 children in the hazardous area who have not yet been evacuated.
- From Kupyansk, which is under constant shelling by Russian occupiers, 73 children have been evacuated in recent days.
Centre for Defence Strategies (CDS) is a Ukrainian security think tank. We operate since 2020.
We publish this brief daily. If you would like to subscribe, please send us an email at email@example.com
The CDC Daily Brief is produced with the support of the Kyiv School of Economics https://kse.ua/
Please note, that we subscribe only verified persons and can decline or cancel the subscription at our own discretion
We are an independent, non-government, non-partisan, and non-profit organization. More at www.defence.org.ua
Our Twitter (in English) – https://twitter.com/defence_centre
Our Facebook (in Ukrainian) – https://www.facebook.com/cds.UA
Our brief is for information only and we verify our information to the best possible extent