Russia’s war on Ukraine. 05.11.2023
- Опубліковано: CDS
- Категорія: DailyBrief
In the operational zone of the Ukrainian Operational-Strategic Group of Forces (OSG) “Khortytsia” on the Kupyansk direction, the enemy conducted unsuccessful assault operations near Synkivka and Ivanivka, where Ukrainian troops repelled about 10 enemy attacks. On the Lyman direction, the enemy carried out unsuccessful assault operations in the areas of Bilohorivka and Spirne, where Ukrainian defenders repelled 4 enemy attacks. On the Bakhmut direction, the enemy unsuccessfully attempted to regain lost positions near Khromove, Klishchiivka, and Andriivka, where Ukrainian troops repelled about 10 enemy attacks. The Russian forces conducted assault operations in the Bohdanivka area, but did not succeed. Ukrainian Defense Forces continue assault operations south of Bakhmut, inflicting losses on the enemy in personnel and equipment, and consolidating their achieved positions.
In the “Tavriya” OSG operational zone on the Avdiivka direction, the enemy, with the support of aviation, continues its attempts to encircle Avdiivka. Ukrainian troops are holding the defense steadfastly and causing losses to the enemy. Ukrainian Defense Forces repelled over 20 enemy attacks in the areas of Stepove, Severne, Avdiivka, and Pervomaiske. On the Maryinka direction, the Russian forces conducted unsuccessful assault operations in the area of Maryinka and Novomykhailivka. Ukrainian forces repelled over 20 enemy attacks in this area. On the Shakhtarsk direction, the enemy conducted unsuccessful assault operations in the Staromayorske area. On the Zaporizhzhia direction, the enemy did not engage in offensive (assault) actions. Ukrainian Defense Forces continue their offensive operation on the Melitopol direction, inflicting losses on the occupation forces in personnel and equipment, and wearing down the enemy along the entire front line.
In the operational zone of the “Odesa” OSG, the Ukrainian Defense Forces are conducting counter-battery warfare and inflicting damage on the enemy’s rear areas.
Russian forces continued their offensive actions on the Kupyansk – Svatove line, near Bakhmut, near Avdiivka, west and southwest of Donetsk, in the western parts of Zaporizhzhia Oblast and made progress in different sectors.
- The adversary’s “West” and “Center” operational groups have lost their offensive potential on the Kupyansk and Lyman directions, necessitating a shift towards a defensive stance.
- The terrain conditions on the Tokmak direction render extensive armored vehicle operations unfeasible.
- North of Avdiivka, the “Tavriya” OSG forces have pushed the enemy behind the railway embankment.
- The enemy is notably refraining from employing tanks in their attacks on the “Odesa” OSG strongholds on the left bank of the Dnipro, likely due to substantial losses they incurred in October.
Change in the line of contact (LoC):
- There were 82 combat engagements on various fronts.
- On the Kupyansk direction, Russian forces unsuccessfully attacked near Synkivka, Ivanivka, Stelmakhivka, and Verkhnyokamianske. The Russian forces of the 6th Army and the 1st Tank Army continued to advance in the area of Kupyansk Forest, Pershotravneve, and Orlianka. They intensified efforts to capture Synkivka and create favorable conditions for capturing Kupyansk. The enemy suffered significant losses at the Kupyansk Vuzlovy – Yahidne line and is currently regrouping in this area.
- The “Khortytsia” OSG forces attacked near Synkivka, north of Tymkivka, and in the areas of Novoselivske and Hryhorivka.
- On the Bakhmut direction, the “Khortytsia” OSG forces advanced along the forest line north of Klishchiivka and are consolidating their positions in this area.
- Russian forces unsuccessfully attempted to regain the lost positions near Klishchiivka and Andriivka. They initiated unsuccessful assaults near Bohdanivka and Khromove, and attacked near Berkhivsky Reservoir but did not make any progress.
- On the Avdiivka direction, Russian forces made slight advances to the southeast of Stepove, reaching the railway line, where they entrenched themselves along the railway tracks. They initiated an offensive from the direction of Spartak, attacking near Novokalynove, and are advancing towards Severne. They unsuccessfully attacked Ukrainian positions from the Mykilske direction. The 72nd Separate Mechanized Brigade repelled the Russian attack with significant losses for the enemy.
- The “Tavriya” OSG forces launched a counterattack against the Russian forces near the railway line north of Avdiivka and repelled Russian assaults near Maryinka and Novomykhailivka.
- Berdyansk direction: The “Tavriya” OSG forces repelled Russian attacks near Staromayorske.
- Russian forces advanced near Pryiutne and on the Rivnopil-Staromayorske line.
- Tokmak direction: The “Tavriya” OSG forces continued assaults with small groups near Robotyne and Verbove.
- Russian forces made slight advances to the south of Chervone and repelled a Ukrainian attack near Marfopil.
- Kherson direction: The “Odesa” OSG forces maintain their positions in the center of Krynky village, near the Antoniv road and rail bridges.
- In the Black Sea-Azov Sea operational maritime zone, one enemy ship was on combat duty in the Black Sea; one – in the Azov Sea; there were two enemy ships in the Mediterranean Sea. There were no cruise missiles on board the carriers.
Change in enemy disposition: not detected.
Possible operation situation developments:
- Russian forces are concentrating personnel and combat equipment for a third massive assault on Avdiivka. They will likely prioritize their offensive efforts around the Avdiivka Coke and Chemical Plant. They are expected to resume more extensive offensive operations north of Avdiivka once the ground dries out after several days of heavy rain.
- The 144th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 40th Army Corps will be deployed in the near future towards the village of Krynky on the Kherson direction.
Russian operational losses from 24.02.22 to 05.11.23
Personnel – almost 305,090 people (+990);
Tanks – 5,284 (+8);
Armored combat vehicles – 9,953 (+14);
Artillery systems – 7,375 (+12);
Multiple rocket launchers (MLRS) – 867 (+6);
Anti-aircraft warfare systems – 570 (+2);
Vehicles and fuel tanks –9,730 (+14);
Aircraft – 322 (0);
Helicopters – 324 (0);
UAV operational and tactical level – 5,534 (0);
Intercepted cruise missiles – 1,554 (+3);
Boats/ships – 21 (0).
- According to information provided by the MOD’s Situation Center, over the past day, Russian forces shelled 10 regions of Ukraine. 118 towns and villages and 120 infrastructure objects were attacked with various types of weapons. There are killed and wounded Ukrainian civilians. The number of casualties is being updated/clarified.
- On November 5, the Russian forces attacked Odesa Oblast with a Kh-31P anti-radar missile. There was a direct impact on an infrastructure object in the Odesa district. Three employees were injured. The administrative building was damaged. The blast wave blew out windows and glass in nearby buildings.
- As a result of the Russian shelling of one of the residential neighborhoods of Kherson, residential buildings were hit, and four people were injured.
- On November 5th, Russian forces dropped an explosive device from a drone near a grocery store in Beryslav, Kherson Oblast. Two people were injured.
- In the Nikopol district of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, on November 5th, due to Russian shelling, a man was killed, and agricultural enterprises, residential houses, and power lines suffered damage.
- More than 1,653 children have been affected in Ukraine as a result of Russia’s full-scale armed aggression. As of the morning of November 5, 2023, according to official information from juvenile prosecutors, 510 children have died, and over 1,143 have sustained injuries of varying degrees of severity. The data is not final. Work is ongoing to establish it in the areas of hostilities, on temporarily occupied and liberated territories. The highest number of affected children is in Donetsk, Kharkiv, Kherson, Kyiv and Zaporizhzhia Oblasts.
Centre for Defence Strategies (CDS) is a Ukrainian security think tank. We operate since 2020.
We publish this brief daily. If you would like to subscribe, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The CDC Daily Brief is produced with the support of the Kyiv School of Economics https://kse.ua/
Please note, that we subscribe only verified persons and can decline or cancel the subscription at our own discretion
We are an independent, non-government, non-partisan, and non-profit organization. More at www.defence.org.ua
Our Twitter (in English) – https://twitter.com/defence_centre
Our Facebook (in Ukrainian) – https://www.facebook.com/cds.UA
Our brief is for information only and we verify our information to the best possible extent