Russia’s war on Ukraine. 06.11.2023
- Опубліковано: CDS
- Категорія: DailyBrief
In the operational zone of the Ukrainian Operational-Strategic Group of Forces (OSG) “Khortytsia” on the Kupyansk direction, the enemy conducted unsuccessful assault operations in the areas of Synkivka, Petropavlivka, and Ivanivka, where Ukrainian defenders repelled about 10 enemy attacks. On the Lyman direction, the enemy did not engage in offensive (assault) actions. On the Bakhmut direction, the Russian forces attempted to regain lost positions in the areas of Klishchiivka and Andriivka, where Ukrainian troops repelled 5 enemy attacks. The enemy conducted unsuccessful assault operations near Bohdanivka, Khromove, and Pivdenne, where Ukrainian defenders repelled another 5 enemy attacks. Ukrainian Defense Forces continue assault operations south of Bakhmut, inflicting losses on the enemy in personnel and equipment, and consolidating their achieved positions.
In the “Tavriya” OSG operational zone on the Avdiivka direction, the enemy, with the support of aviation, continues its attempts to encircle Avdiivka. Ukrainian troops are holding the defense steadfastly and causing significant losses to the enemy. The Ukrainian Defense Forces repelled about 10 enemy attacks in the areas of Stepove, Avdiivka, Severne, and Pervomaiske. On the Maryinka direction, the enemy conducted unsuccessful assault operations in the area of Maryinka and Novomykhailivka. Ukrainian forces repelled over 20 enemy attacks in this area. On the Shakhtarsk and Zaporizhzhia directions, the Russian forces conducted assault operations northwest of Verbove and Robotyne, and north of Nesteryanka and Pyatykhatky. They did not succeed. The Ukrainian Defense Forces continue their offensive operation on the Melitopol direction, inflicting losses on the occupation forces in personnel and equipment, and wearing down the enemy along the entire front line.
In the operational zone of the “Odesa” OSG, the Ukrainian Defense Forces are conducting counter-battery warfare and inflicting damage on the enemy’s rear areas.
Russian forces continued their offensive actions on the Kupyansk – Svatove line, near Bakhmut, near Avdiivka, west and southwest of Donetsk, in the western parts of Zaporizhzhia Oblast and made progress in different sectors.
- Russian artillery and aviation continue to deliver powerful strikes on Ukrainian positions in the vicinity of Avdiivka, conducting regular air raids ranging from 4 to 10 per day.
- The battles on the Tokmak direction are predominantly of a positional nature.
Change in the line of contact (LoC):
- There were 53 combat engagements on various fronts.
- On the Kupyansk direction, the “Khortytsia” OSG forces repelled Russian attacks to the northeast of Petropavlivka, as well as near Synkivka, Ivanivka, Bilohorivka, and Spirne.
- Russian forces advanced near Stepova Novosilka, Makiyivka, and Dibrova in the direction of Serebryansk Forest, and made progress near Kyslivka.
- On the Bakhmut direction, the “Khortytsia” OSG forces achieved success to the east of the railway line near Andriivka. They repelled over 10 Russian attacks near Bohdanivka, Khromove, Klishchiivka, Andriivka, and Pivdenne. Battles continue near Klishchiivka.
- Russian forces made minor gains to the west of the railway section near Klishchiivka.
- On the Avdiivka direction, the “Tavriya” OSG forces repelled over 20 Russian attacks near Stepove, Avdiivka, Pivnichne, and Pervomaiske. They also withstood over 20 Russian assaults near Maryinka and Novomykhailivka, and launched a counterattack to the north of Avdiivka in the vicinity of Krasnohorivka.
- Russian forces consolidated their positions near Stepove and advanced to the west of the railway section near the village. They also achieved success to the southeast of Avdiivka and continued their advance in the direction of Novokalynove after a powerful rocket artillery barrage. Ukrainian counterattacks near Novomykhailivka and Mykilske were repelled.
- Berdyansk direction: Units of the 127th Motorized Rifle Division of the 5th Army advanced near Pryiutne and to the west of Staromayorske.
- Tokmak direction: Russian forces made limited progress to the trench line west of Verbove. They conducted unsuccessful attacks to the northwest of Verbove, near Robotyne, to the north of Nesteryanka, and in the vicinity of Pyatykhatky. Units of the enemy’s 7th Airborne Assault Division are attempting to secure their positions near Verbove and Robotyne on the captured territory.
- The “Tavriya” OSG forces achieved limited success to the northwest of Verbove and launched an attack near Novoprokopivka.
- Kherson direction: “Odesa” OSG forces made slight advances to the southwest corner of the solar panel farm near Pidstepne and are holding positions in buildings in Krynky. Positional battles continue in Krynky and along the Pishchanivka-Poyma line.
- In the Black Sea-Azov Sea operational maritime region, there was one enemy ship on combat duty in the Black Sea, one enemy ship in the Azov Sea, and two enemy ships in the Mediterranean Sea. There were no cruise missiles on board the carriers.
- The Ukrainian Defense Forces successfully struck the Russian naval and port infrastructure at the “Zaliv” shipyard in Kerch, causing damage to the small missile ship “Askold” of Project 22800 “Karakurt” (presumably three direct hits from SCALP cruise missiles; the ship is inoperable and not subject to repair).
Change in enemy disposition: not detected.
Possible operation situation developments:
- Russian forces are concentrating personnel and combat equipment for a third massive assault on Avdiivka. They will likely prioritize their offensive efforts around the Avdiivka Coke and Chemical Plant. They are expected to resume more extensive offensive operations north of Avdiivka once the ground dries out after several days of heavy rain.
- The 144th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 40th Army Corps will be deployed in the near future towards the village of Krynky on the Kherson direction.
Russian operational losses from 24.02.22 to 06.11.23
Personnel – almost 305,970 people (+880);
Tanks – 5,288 (+4);
Armored combat vehicles – 9,958 (+5);
Artillery systems – 7,389 (+14);
Multiple rocket launchers (MLRS) – 867 (0);
Anti-aircraft warfare systems – 570 (0);
Vehicles and fuel tanks –9,744 (+14);
Aircraft – 322 (0);
Helicopters – 324 (0);
UAV operational and tactical level – 5,554 (+20);
Intercepted cruise missiles – 1,556 (+2);
Boats/ships – 21 (0).
- According to information provided by the MOD’s Situation Center, over the past day, Russian forces shelled 10 regions of Ukraine. 119 towns and villages and 54 infrastructure objects were attacked with various types of weapons. There are killed and wounded Ukrainian civilians. The number of casualties is being updated/clarified.
- From 8:00 PM to midnight, the enemy launched an attack on Ukraine with following munitions: one Kh-31 and one Kh-59 missile, anti-ship missiles P-800 “Oniks” and “Iskander-M”, as well as 22 “Shahed” type strike UAVs. Ukrainian air defense forces successfully intercepted 15 drones and one Kh-59 missile.
- The “Oniks” and “Iskander-M” missiles targeted the central part of Odesa and a decommissioned industrial building. The explosions caused damage to several multi-story residential buildings and a museum in the historical part of the city (a UNESCO World Heritage site). The “Shahed” drones were directed at the port infrastructure of Odesa, causing damage to warehouse facilities, unloading equipment, and vehicles carrying grain. As a result of the attack on Odesa, 8 people were injured. In total, in Odesa, after the shelling, more than 20 multi-story residential buildings, over two dozen cars, and infrastructure have been damaged.
- A Kh-31P missile targeted Kherson, causing damage to a 5-story residential building. The Kh-59 missile, launched at Mykolaiv Oblast, was successfully neutralized by the air defense forces.
- Overall, in Kherson, 4 multi-story residential buildings and two private houses were damaged due to overnight shelling. Additionally, during the night, Russian forces conducted 12 airstrikes on the villages of Krynky and the city of Beryslav. Overall, over the past day, the enemy dropped 87 aerial bombs on towns and villages in Kherson Oblast — the highest number to date.
- Since October 24th, 345 minors, along with their families, have been evacuated from the communities in Kherson Oblast that are constantly under enemy shelling.
Centre for Defence Strategies (CDS) is a Ukrainian security think tank. We operate since 2020.
We publish this brief daily. If you would like to subscribe, please send us an email at email@example.com
The CDC Daily Brief is produced with the support of the Kyiv School of Economics https://kse.ua/
Please note, that we subscribe only verified persons and can decline or cancel the subscription at our own discretion
We are an independent, non-government, non-partisan, and non-profit organization. More at www.defence.org.ua
Our Twitter (in English) – https://twitter.com/defence_centre
Our Facebook (in Ukrainian) – https://www.facebook.com/cds.UA
Our brief is for information only and we verify our information to the best possible extent